  • Subject: Re: As400 on the Web
  • From: "Roger Pence" <rp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 22:14:31 -0600

Carl Galgano wrote:
>>If you want two quick and dirty ways.
>>1.  Allow green screen access to the application via the Internet.  Either
>>the customer can get a TN5250 emulator or you can get a java applet that

>>2.  Use the WSG (workstation gateway) fucntion that is built into the OS.
>>It allow you to use a browser to GUIized the 400 screens.  The 400 does
5250

Carl made good suggestions, but, don't forget Neil,

The potential security exposures of such dial-in methods for application
distribute _must_ be considered and also discussed with the customer.
Although V4R4's SSL Telnet will probably resolve many security concerns,
security must be considered first and foremost when pondering the kinds of
application distribution Neil asked about.

Admittedly, the risks are low (I have _never_ heard of an AS/400 being
hacked into through a sniffed data stream). Two points:
1. It's gonna happen to someone, sooner or later. Want that someone to be
you?
2. Check out the ALT.2600 newsgroup to see how amoral punk hackers think.

Last fall, IBM recently published a TCP/IP tutorial redbook that, although
not platform-specific, is a great reference and would be good upfront
reading for you Neil
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/redbooks/abstracts/gg243376.html

Another good source of info is the just-published Firewall for AS/400
redbook:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/redbooks/abstracts/sg245376.html

rp