  • Subject: AS/400 Vs. PC Quote
  • From: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:52:49 -0500

A customer of mine is in the process of replacing an application we wrote
for them approx 2 years ago with some canned software that runs only on
Windows NT.

They have hired two full time programmers to write "Front and back ends" to
the package because it doesn't do everything they need.  BTW, they are
writing in Powerbuilder.

Our company has been doing less and less for this customer as time goes on,
but from time to time we will get a call that something has to be done with
their existing AS/400 package (which by the way works as designed but is
being scrapped because it doesn't do everything they want, and it's not
GUI).

MIS manager calls yesterday to discuss how one division in California has
just signed on a new customer.  This new customer has an AS/400 and they
want to use dialup SNADS to send spool files to my customers AS/400 and then
print them on local printers. (shipping labels)

They have a  WinNT system that runs SNA Server and some BOS product to
provide 5250 emulation over the internet.  I don't think it's BOS's fault,
but the emulation never works.  We originally recommended putting ethernet
cards in the 400's and using firewalls, telnet, etc.  My solution cost less
and lost  (and I think it was the better solution)

While discussing his options, I suggested that he could save phone line
costs by transferring the spool files over the internet into his WinNT
system, then onto the 400.

His response to my PC, "No, I don't want to get any PC's involved.  This has
to be simple and it has to work"

Art Tostaine, Jr.
CCA, Inc.
Parlin, NJ  08859