  • Subject: Re: Printer file overrides and crtpgm commands
  • From: email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (James W Kilgore)
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:50:35 -0800

Cyndi,

Since you are already hard coding your overrides and it sounds like you will
have to visit each program, it might be just as simple for you to write a
command where you pass the printer id and it returns the settings.  You would
then use those settings in a OVRPRTF within your CL.  A DLTOVR should get you
back to factory settings.

At least this way all of your override specifications are within a single
program and adding a new device with unique specifications is a single program
change.

As far as the CRTCLPGM (etc.) commands, you may be able to perform a CRTDUPOBJ
on the printer file used by the CRTxxx command into your own library and then
CHGPRTF to your settings.  This would work if the setting is global, if you want
it to be dynamic, you could write a wrapper for the CRTxxx command which calls
the command I described above, executes the CRTxxx command then changes settings
back again.

HTH,

James W. Kilgore
email@James-W-Kilgore.com