>Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:28:21 -0800
>From: "Bruce Shaw" <crashshw@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: RE: AS/400 Gasping For Air ??

>Somewhat relevant to this thread; I have CISC AS400 310-2044; application
is
>CS order system with basic billing\invoicing\client info backended into a
JD
>Edwards environment. There is also substantial data sharing going on
between
>two major apps which control the client memberships. Currently, there is
40+
>GB data and some 3/4 million lines RPG code.
>We have just be acquired by a small developer outfit whose specialty is in
>UNIX/NT environments. Their intention is to replace all AS400
apps/hardware
>within 6-9 months with C++ developed apps rather than upgrading our CISC
box
>(which is somewhat CPU deprived ). There will be telephony apps/hardware
>integrated into the environment (stuff we don't have currently but would
>like to have). Is the 6-9 months time frame realistic for replacing our
>current RPG stuff?

NOOOO!
Unless they are starting with a working application and modifying it, they
will be exactly one and a half years late for their deadline, and about
$300,000 short.  Here's what I need you to ask management;
1)      Does the software currently work, but it's in need of tweaking (IE
the telephony stuff!)
2)      Telephony on the AS/400 exists, and software exists to do almost
everything you want it to do (and from personal experience, the AS/400
services 3000 calls a day!)  I would interface the system to almost any
telephone system using sockets, built into the AS/400!!!
3)      Call Path software (with some minor tweaks) exists that can really
enhance existing application to interface with the existing calls comming
in!
4)      40gb of data on a unix system!  If you can partition the system
enough times, you'll be sick of the unix box really quick (One of the
fastest databases on the market is DB2/400 and holds the record for the
largest file (1 Terebyte I recall) and 1 billion records, and takes 30
minutes to do a rather complex query

So if you want to modernize an AS/400 - teach it new tricks by doing the
following;
1)      Get a RISC box (They really tear up the pavement!!) A 620 AS/400
will easily service your environment.  If you multiprocess, you'll get
enormous leaps in speed!
2)      Use a GUI front end like Jacada (Turns all AS/400 screens into Java
front ends) or some GUI tool to teach the front end to look better - you
can also modernize portions of the application!!  This also turns a Green
screen into something more palatable for the users. Here's a cool thing
about this - this is about 3 months of work on a complex application - the
GUI applications does a lot of the work for you!
3)      Get a Sockets front end - about $3000 that will utilize ILE RPG to
communicate with your telephone system - This is WAY easier then it sounds
- usually within one compile - I repeat ONE compile!

The Unix solution will require some hidden costs that the vendor is NOT
telling you about like
1)      Re-training the ENTIRE staff for a new System
2)      Re-training the ENTIRE staff for a new software package (which if
they use the current system as a framework, all they are doing is
replaceing the AS/400, or if they are replacing the software with new
software, 40GB of data takes about 4 days to convert...
3)      How about the fact that you have to BUY all the stuff everyone
takes for granted on the AS/400.  Like the Database, the Security, SQL and
other stuff.  So Here's what happens when a UNIX problem happens  - Quick
call the Operating System Guys...nope it aint the operating system... it's
the Database they say.  OK Call the Database guys (remember - time is
ticking right now - and we've already called the wrong people)  So you're
on the phone with the Database guys - they IMMEDIATLY blame the operating
system "Hey - we wrote it right, talk to those mean OS guys!"

Are you scared...  Or you can upgrade to RISC (you MUST do a parallel
upgrade - don't upgrade the current equipment - Get the Faster Disk
Drives!)  A Server AS/400 FLYS!  The invader boxes (The 170) really move!!!
 Potentially you'd have more system, less footprint, and it's all done
within a weekend.  If you're having speed problems, listen to a hardware
vendor, then skip to the next more powerful box, and possibly save money on
lease payments!! or Just get a FAST! system.  The Slowest RISC AS/400's is
about the same speed  as the FASTEST 'F' box ever made...

Think about this!  Please before you make a major mistake!
I've seen the "We're pissed at the <Fill in the midrange equipment>"
projects go into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, then they buy an
AS/400 anyway!!!

-Andrew Borts
Systematic Control, Inc.