  • Subject: Maintenance, Supportline and SSO - "ouch"...
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:20:07 -0500

Hi Folks !

Just went before our President and our CEO today to get funding approval for IBM Hardware Maintenance, Support line and SSO. Big rush was getting the SSO done before year end ! They had purchased the AS/400 last November and it is scheduled to go live January 4th (actually this weekend) 1999 - wish us well <BG> !!!

With the help of our Controller (he and I both come from a MUCH larger company and AS/400 shop) we got the OK.

Our situation was that this place had been on an NCR Unix box with homegrown apps. The 3 year IBM Hardware contract  was an easy sell since it's total was BARELY more for 3 years than the same thing for NCR for ONE YEAR !!!!!

Support line was a little harder to explain.

SSO actually wasn't very hard at al (suprisingly).

It was just all 3 at once (my I.S. co-hort is from the NCR world and had ignored all of this; I got to step in and get it all sorted out... <BG>).

Luckily the Application software maintenance was more than all of this !!!!

We did get the "how much is this going to keep costing" which was understandable and had not been real well presented by my Controller friends' predecessor and my I.S. co-hort but we WERE able to explain it and justify it as the price of doing business, the value of the new technology, the future, etc. and they were VERY receptive to this.

The AS/400 wins again but in this case, it was helped by someone that new the AS/400, etc. (me) and a Conrtoller that had come from a big AS/400 shop...

Guess my point is IBM should think about getting some of this information to the high level execs of new systems (in non-AS/400 shops/small shops) so they have an understanding of this stuff... (?)

Chuck