  • Subject: Communications
  • From: "Boyer, Barry" <bboyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:36:10 -0500

Pat Barber wrote----

Buck Calabro/commsoft wrote:

> >We are looking for an AS/400 based communications package.
> >The put it real simple--something that will function like
> >a CROSSTALK or PROCOMM on the PC; file transfer, scripting, etc.
>
> A "poor man's" resource is the command STRITF.  It comes
> with OS400, but it isn't pretty.  To send a break or control
> key you press ATTN and select the "special key" from the menu.

A very little understood piece of code... Is capable of very fast
file transfers,, very "little" documentation on program.. although
I recall a News/400 article that described it in depth & detail...
Need to root through archives for that one....

=====
A hearty thank-you to everyone who has made suggestions.  Our legacy system
uses PC based DOS
products to pull down a file from the AS/400 and then turn around and "send
it" to a bank or other institution
for processing.

We are --in our Y2K remediation-- trying to eliminate as many points of
failure as possible--thus the desire
to communicate the "file" directly to a bank etc using a communications
scripting package from the AS/400.

We "do" have a very specific EDI package called FUTURE3, but it does not
have a separate communication
feature.  Previous experience--I used GENTRAN and used the communications
part to direct file transfers-- but
for this application I think GENTRAN could be too expensive.

STRIF looks like it might not have all we need....but thanks again for the
effort!

Barry L. Boyer (bboyer@gstleather.com)
Manager, MIS Operations
Garden State Tanning