Robert,

>After all the wrangling about the 'freeness' of Code/400, here are a couple
>other RPG source editors for the PC.

I'm aware of these, as well as Flex/Edit (which is what I use).

>1 QuickCode, which sells for $89.00.

I downloaded the demo in September out of curiousity when I first
heard about it.

It doesn't support RPG ILE, and doesn't have any of the features of a
"modern" editor.  It does have RPG III rulers, prompts, and syntax
aids.  For students, this may be a fairly low-cost way to get some
help with non-ILE stuff.  But it hardly compares to the LPEX editor
used by CODE, or the CodeWright editor used by Flex/Edit.

>2 Another one I came across is called "CodeStudio".  I don't know if its in
>production or not,

I thought Bob had discontinued CodeStudio, but maybe I'm wrong.  He
was creating it at the same time in '94 that Picante Software came out
with the Windows version of Flex Edit to replace their previous DOS
version (which BTW, was also very good).  I never saw the actual
CodeStudio product, only screen shots from ads for the prototype, and
a review in News/400 (see March 1995 p81).  At that time, it was $395
for a single-user license.  I think a new version was released in Sep
'96.

I wouldn't put either one in the same league as CODE or Flex.
Especially if the base CODE editor can be used "free" and you had to
pay for QuickCode or CodeStudio.

BTW, at one time Lattice Software had another editor too (I actually
used a DOS version of theirs for awhile in 1990).  And of course
California Software has an editor in Baby/400.  But I don't think it
is available separately.

Doug