Had this same problem at a customer recently.  I was getting the lightning
bolt error at the bottom of the PC5250 screen that told me it was trying to
resolve host names.  I added the host name to my hosts.txt file and it still
did not work.  Graphical access did.  I was on an NT Server box, perhaps the
problem is related to that?

This was not a new AS/400 and there were lots of other clients connected, so
I know that all of the servers/TCP/subsystems were started.

Art Tostaine, Jr.
CCA, Inc.
Parlin, NJ  08859