  • Subject: Re: Overflow values
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 09:28:17 -0500

Sudha wrote:
>While using EVAL for computing numbers, if the result of
>computing gets larger than the result field definition, the
>throws up an error.  Is there any way to get around this?
>Like say truncate (as it does in Move) some EVAL(T)?? :)
>If I use *PSSR, the program goes to the top of the line and
>I loose all the work that is done till then. (Right now, am
>using a very large number for computation and comparing that
>with *hival of the defined number and then if larger, moving
>hival!  Would prefer a much smarter way to do this.)

The way to get around this is to fix the bug in your
expression that gives you the numeric overflow exception.

Although using the fixed format arithmetic ops with
decimal numeric operands will (by default) truncate
results, for numeric expressions, the behavior is much
more complicated and truncation (if allowed) would more
often yield results that you did not expect.

BTW, moving *HIVAL into a field is NOT the same as
truncating a result.  Also, I hope that when you put
*HIVAL into the field, you treat that as some special
value and not as the actual result of the computation.

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com