  • Subject: Re: LIBL limitation of 25 libraries
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:46:24 -0500

Ouch.  Library lists and how to structure application libraries can be an
interesting dilemna and problem.  Not knowing all of your specifics is kind
of limiting but here are my suggestions:

1.) Anywhere you can logically consolidate, do it.  I'm sure you've looked
at this a hundred times over but I'd do it again.  My personal opinion is
that I don't want one huge application library nor do I want one for each
application.  If there are no valid security or control reasons
consolidate.

2.) Your process of swapping library lists is valid, it sounds like it is
not universally followed or implemented.  It's probably very similar to the
TAA Tools (don't work for Jim Sloan, just love the product) library group
processing.  If I understand correctly as you move back in forth your are
saving the original, modifying it, running the app, and then restoring when
done.  If implemented universally, this should work.  Can you logically
create library groups to assist in the control?

3.)  In actuallity you have 42 libraries at your disposal.  In a similar
approach to item #2 you can use the current library and change it as
necessary via the chgcurlib command.  It sits above the 25 user libraries
and is an additional library you can use.  It's one of the few things that
the S/36 had and the S/38 didn't :-).  The library you specify as current
will remain there until it is changed via the CHGCURLIB command.  Of course
this will only work if you are working with 1 library at a time.

4.) You can also use production libraries.  It's similar to the current
library but is available only to commands.  I use this a lot and wish my
third party vendors did.  It's a parameter on the command.  The production
library is active as long as the command is running.  Assume CMD A uses LIB
A, CMD B uses LIB B, etc.  Entere in CMD A and LIB A is your production.
Enter in CMD B and LIB B is your production.  Enter CMD C and LIB C is your
production.  End CMD C and now LIB B is your production.  End CMD B and LIB
A is now production.  End CMD A and you have no production library.  This
too will only work with 1 library at a time.

5.) I hesitate to suggest but you also have 15 system library list entries
available.  If you have a library that is indeed global in it's usage you
may want to consider placing it there.  I try to avoid this because there
are only 15 and many third party operation /utility applications like to
use this.

If you are indeed not using library qualifications and using library lists
the bigger this list gets the more impact you will have on performance.
That's why I strongly suggest you spend more time on #1 and #2.  You are
already doing #2 maybe just not well enough?  Anywhere you can
eliminate/consolidate I would not hesitate to do it.

Respectfully

Mike Crump

engelkes <engelkes@xs4all.nl> on 11/27/98 04:29:15 AM

Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com