  • Subject: Re: RPG IV
  • From: Buck Calabro/commsoft<mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:00:41 -0500

>> There's WAY TOO MUCH RPG III code that is just not going to benefit
>> from CVTRPGPGM into RPG IV.
>
>Here I have to disagree with you Buck.  I agree that procedures
>are the way to go (along with prototyping program calls) but
>there is still significant benefit without them.  Admittedly
>indicator laden code can get ugly, but the tools like the
>Connections 2000 one can help with that.

Rather than quibble about the extent of the benefits (I can think
of NO detriments to using RPG IV!) let me try to explain my
state of mind when I talk about CVTRPGPGM et.al.

I've made a good living working on S/36 style RPG II code that
was "converted" into RPG III or RPG400.  Code that uses typical
"load, sort, print" RPG programs wrapped in CL that does the
CRTPF QTEMP/xxx, FMTDTA, DLTF, just like the S/36 OCL did.
There are still folks who program that way on the AS400 today,
and you know how they learnt that "style?"  By reading old,
converted S/36 code.

It's my horrible fear and nightmare that in 2010 I'll be looking
at brand-new RPG IV code that doesn't use subroutines, but DOES
use U1 and H1, as well as the LDA (defined in I specs as UDS)
to pass parameters in and out.  All because CVRTPGPGM makes it
so easy to convert to RPG IV.

I'd like to try to convince folks to embrace a more modern
way of writing code, rather than simply convert 1982 code
into a new column format.  It's rather like the structured
code debates that periodically race through the list: there
are no structured opcodes; only structured design.  The
opcodes make implementing that design easier.  Likewise,
RPG IV makes implementing good program design easier than
in RPG III; converting an existing old-fashioned design
into a newer language doesn't fix the design compromises
that were made when the code was originally written.

><Get down off soapbox - end of sermon>

Heh!  A healthy debate is good for the soul, my friend!
Thanks for putting up with me!!!

Buck Calabro
CommSoft, Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net