  • Subject: Re: ASCII workstation controller
  • From: "Carl Galgano" <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:28:27 -0500

Booth:
Sorry so slow to respond.  There are several ways to implement a RAS server.
We use an NT box configured for RAS services with a 32 port digi board in
the server.  This allow us to have up to 32 simulaneous users (we only have
7 ports active) dial our LAN and access everything on the LAN as if they had
a local connection in our office.  It works well.  However this is not the
only way.  We have also installed a hardware only solution, it is called
QuickStream PRO and is a little box that is attached to the LAN via the hub.
It support up to 3 dial up modems and performs much like the NT RAS allowing
access to all LAN services supporting all major protocols (IPX, IP, NetBeui,
etc.) .  I think the box cost around $900 (Data Comm Whse) plus you have to
buy your modems.  Another way is use a router as a RAS server.  Many routers
have built in RAS servers, and I think also Novell has RAS services. Once
you are connected to the network, getting to the AS400 is as simple as
starting a TN5250 emulator and pointing it to the IP address of the AS400.
HTH,
Carl
Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.