At 05:48 PM 11/4/98 +1300, you wrote:
>At 09:43 2/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>

>I'd be interested to hear what you have done. I have a 3570.. (*IS* that
>magstar tape drive ?)

Yes, but there are several models of the Magstar 3570 Tape Subsystem. The
following was done on a Model C01 (Library Model) set to "Random" via the
control l panel option menu.  I believe it would work also on C02, C11 and
C12.  But, not Model C00.

This is what I have done, concocted, developed and stumbled across in
relation ship to a Magstar tape drive.   Or more specifically managing one
without buying tape management software.

One of the things I have yet to understand is the relationship of the
CATEGORY of the tapes in the drive to the function of the tape drive.  I
have read the manuals but I do not grasp it's purpose and how it would or
could be used.

Much of the following could be improved upon.  However, it was put together
on a trial basis and (as usual) there has never been enough time to go back
and clean up, optimize, etc.  Alligators by themselves do not count.  Only
alligators that are on fire warrant attention.

There are many things that interact upon this procedure that are unique to
my operation that I have not included.

This backup procedure is based on a two-week cycle.  There are 14 tapes.
Each day of the week has two tapes I.D. with the first three characters of
the day plus a 4th character of # or @.  This makes one week the "pound
week" and the next week the "at week."  Example: SUN# and SUN@.
There are 10 carrying cases labeled MON# through FRI# and MON@ through
FRI@.  Mondays case carries both Sunday and Monday tapes.  Friday's case
carries both Friday and Saturday tapes.
Tapes are loaded 3 to 4 days in advance of their use.  The other tapes are
kept off site.
Every morning the previous night's tapes are removed and carried off site.

Outline:
1. Set up the tape drive as a library device as TAPLIB
2.  Initialize the tapes with the cartridge I.D. and the volume I.D. set to
the serial number on the bar code label on each tape.
3. Create  physical file TAPEFILE
A*  FILE OF THE TAPES USED IN THE BACKUP
A*----------------------------------------------------------------
A                                      UNIQUE
A*----------------------------------------------------------------
A          R TAPE001                   TEXT('TAPE REGISTERY')
A*----------------------------------------------------------------
A            CARTID         6          TEXT('CARTRIDGE I.D.')
A            VOLID          6          TEXT('TAPE VOLUME I.D.')
A            DOW            3          TEXT('DAY OF WEEK CYCLE')
A            CYCLE          1          TEXT('CYCLE WEEK I.D.')
A            LCYMD          8  0       TEXT('DATE OF LAST SAVE')
A            SORT           2          TEXT('SORT SEQUENCE')
A*----------------------------------------------------------------
A          K CARTID

4. Load the information into the file via DFU.
5. Create command TAPUNLD that runs CL TAPEUNLOAD
PGM        /* Unload any tape loaded */
DCL        VAR(&JOB) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) /* Job name */
DCL        VAR(&USER) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(10) /* Job user */
DCL        VAR(&NBR) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(6) /* Job number */
DCLF       FILE(*LIBL/TAPES) /* List of Tapes */
DLTF       FILE(QTEMP/TAPES) /* Delete file */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF2105) /* Not there */
DSPTAPCTG  DEV(TAPLIB) CGY(*ALL) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/TAPES)
READ: RCVF       /* Get a record */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0864) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(THEEND)) /* +
           End of File */
IF         COND(&RDLOC *EQ 'TAP01     ') THEN(DO)
             DMPTAP     DEV(TAPLIB) VOL(&RDMID) ENDOPT(*UNLOAD)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF6723) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(THEEND)) /* +
                          No file */
RTVJOBA    JOB(&JOB) USER(&USER) NBR(&NBR) /* Job I.D. */
DLTSPLF    FILE(QPTAPDMP) JOB(&NBR/&USER/&JOB) +
                  SPLNBR(*LAST) /* Remove the printout */
ENDDO
GOTO       CMDLBL(READ)
THEEND:     ENDPGM

6. Create a data area (TAPECYCLE) of 1 byte and load it with "#" or "@."
7. Create an RPG program that runs after midnight Saturday that switches
the "#' or "@" in the TAPECYCLE data area.
7. Create a daily save CL and execute it automatically ever night just
before midnight.
PGM        /* Daily save */
DCL        VAR(&XDAY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
DCL        VAR(&DAY) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(3)
DCL        VAR(&CYCLEID) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(1) /* Cycle I.D. */
DCL        VAR(&TEXT01) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(30)
DCL        VAR(&TEXT02) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(30) +
               VALUE('Could not be found on T1 drive')
DCL        VAR(&TEXT03) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(30) +
                VALUE('Could not be ejected!         ')
DCLF       FILE(JLQGPL/TAPEFILE) /* List of Tapes */
CHGJOB     OUTQ(ISMGROQ) /* My OUTQ */
WHAT_DAY:   RTVSYSVAL  SYSVAL(QDAYOFWEEK) RTNVAR(&XDAY) /* *DAY */
CHGVAR     VAR(&DAY) VALUE(%SST(&XDAY 2 3))
RTVDTAARA  DTAARA(JLQGPL/TAPECYCLE) RTNVAR(&CYCLEID) /* +
                 Cycle I.D.; # or @ */
READ:       RCVF       /* Get a record */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF0864) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(NOTFOUND)) +
                       /* End of File */
IF         COND(&DOW *EQ &DAY *AND &CYCLEID *EQ &CYCLE) +
                THEN(GOTO CMDLBL(FOUND))
GOTO       CMDLBL(READ)
FOUND:      TAPUNLD    /* Unload TAPLIB if loaded */
ADDTAPCTG  DEV(TAPLIB) CTG(&CARTID)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF67AB CPF67D2) EXEC(DO)
CHGVAR     VAR(&TEXT01) VALUE(&CARTID) /* # of tape */
CALL       PGM(SENDMEMO02) PARM('WAYNEMP   ' &TEXT01 +
                     &TEXT02)
RETURN     /* Error Exit */
ENDDO
CHKTAP     DEV(TAPLIB) VOL(&VOLID) /* Load tape */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF412C) EXEC(DO) /* Not found */
CHGVAR     VAR(&TEXT01) VALUE(&CARTID) /* # of tape */
CALL       PGM(SENDMEMO02) PARM('WAYNEMP   ' &TEXT01 +
                  &TEXT02)
RETURN     /* Error Exit */
ENDDO
INZTAP     DEV(TAPLIB) NEWVOL(&VOLID) VOL(&CARTID) +
                         CHECK(*NO)
RMVM       FILE(JLQGPL/TAPESAVEL1) MBR(*ALL)
SAVLIB     LIB(*ALLUSR) DEV(TAPLIB) VOL(&VOLID) +
                    ENDOPT(*REWIND) SAVACT(*SYNCLIB) +
                    OMITOBJ((JLQGPL/TAPESAVE *FILE))
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF3777) /* Not all *lib saved */
CALL       PGM(TAPEDATSET) PARM(&CARTID) /* Update date */
ADDRPYLE   SEQNBR(4011) MSGID(CPA401E) RPY(C) /* Set +
                 the reply list to (C)ancel if there is a +
                      tape in the way */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF2555) /* Already defined */
CHGJOB     INQMSGRPY(*SYSRPYL) /* Allow reply list +
                     entry to be used to reply to CPA401E */
RMVTAPCTG  DEV(TAPLIB) CTG(&CARTID) STATION(*CNV)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF67E4) EXEC(DO)
CHGVAR     VAR(&TEXT01) VALUE(&CARTID) /* # of tape */
CALL       PGM(SENDMEMO02) PARM('WAYNEMP   ' &TEXT01 +
                 &TEXT03)
ENDDO
RMVRPYLE   SEQNBR(4011) /* Remove 4011 from reply list */
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF2556) /* Not there! */
NOTFOUND:
SBMJOB     CMD(CALL PGM(JLQGPL/TAPE_ERROR)) +
               JOB(TPAE_LOG) JOBQ(QS36EVOKE)
THEEND:     ENDPGM

-**************************
G. Wayne Calvert