  • Subject: RE: BIGLETTERS RPG program
  • From: "Ilena E. Ayala" <Ilena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:53:41 -0400

>To find release level of QUSRTOOL you have, try a DSPPGM
>QUSRTOOL/PACKAGE and see what release it is.

Since I support the newer licensed version of the TAA Tools, I
frequently have customers check before they load our stuff.  (For
us it's part of my risk assessment method-people running really old
tools are at higher risk of 'breaking' because a tool was pulled or
changed several releases ago.)

I skip that entirely and have people 'spot check' a few programs
in their TAA Tool library.  It is VERY common for people to have
loaded the new part of the operating system and not realize they
need to run unpackage and then do the CRTTAATOOL.  This is a
better indication of what they are running, as opposed to which
version of source they have.

To do the spot check, pick a few *PGM objects in the TAATOOL
library and do a dsppgm taatool/&pgmname, look for the compiler
level listed about 2/3 the way down on the ?2nd? or ?3rd? screen.

If you want a more complete listing a dsppgm TAATOOL/*ALL can
be done to an outfile and a query run over it after.

I have seen stuff all the way back to version 1.x of OS/400 being
run under V3R2!  Some shops also create the individual tools
as needed, as opposed to creating all of them in one sweep,
so it's not unusual to see assorted release levels either.

-Ilena Ayala

Jim Sloan, Inc.
c/o Barsa Consulting LLC