  • Subject: Re: ICF Programming Snafu's! I Don't want to EVOKE!
  • From: Andrew Borts <adborts@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 18:46:43 -0400

Also Eric,
The flow seems to be as follows;
Pgm A Opens ICF FIle
Pgm A Acquires Device
Pgm A Signs onto Tandom (Leased connection...)
Pgm A Writes an Invite
Pgm A Waits for response from tandom
Pgm A Receives communications for the day from the Tandom
Pgm A Responds to Communications from the Tandom
Pgm A Sends a Signoff Request
Pgm A Ends...

The examples seem to be the following
Pgm A Opens
Pgm A Evokes a Pgm on System B
Pgm A  ---> Pgm B Communicate...
Pgm A <---- Pgm B Communicate
Pgm A Ends ------ Pgm B Ends....
You have a better example?
-Andrew

Andrew Borts wrote:

> Eric,
> This is using a SDLC communication, and that seems to be the diffeence in the
> original way they were doing this.  So far, the answers I've found say that
> EVOKE is needed for this.  Now I'm stuck - I don't want to hardcode the
> security parms into the SECURITY parm in the ICF file, and I may have to
> internally describe this portion of the communications.  I'm confused!  It
> looks like it can be done, yet it can't!
> -Andrew
>
> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 98 14:30:05 -0600
> From: eric.delong@pmsi-services.com
> Subject: Re: ICF Programming Snafu's! I Don't want to EVOKE!
>
>      Andrew,
>
>      I'm not exactly sure I understand.... is it something like:
>
>      1> AS400 (sys a) always runs a comm job that just waits for
>      connection (ICFW or BSCW).
>
>      2> AS400 (sys b) dialing into sysA for testing. As soon as
>      connection is established, pgms start talking.
>
>      3> Tandem (sys c) dialing in to sysA for production. like above.
>
>      A waiting for connection
>      B or C dialing A
>      Connect
>      B-->A  (send request) pgm to pgm
>      A-->B  (send reply)   pgm to pgm
>      Disconnect
>      A waiting for connection
>
>      Evoke is not necessary. Just have the comm job active on Sys A, and
>      it will just wait for a valid connection to begin. If this is the
>      scenario, I might be able to provide you with samples. Contact me @
>
>      eric.delong@pmsi-services.com

> _________________________________
>
> Andrew Borts wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to simulate connection to a mainframe via an ICF file using
> > two AS/400's , and I'm running into a problem in getting the two AS/400
> > to chat with one another.  I want to blind transmit information sent
> > over the ICF to the receiving AS/400 end, and reply using the program
> > that is sitting and waiting for a communication that would normally be
> > to a mainframe (tandom..).  So far, I've run into the snafu that I have
> > to evoke the receiving end from the transmitting AS/400 end.  In
> > reality, I don't want to evoke, and I want the other end just to
> > startup, and answer messages sent by the mainframe.  Any clues as to
> > what I do?
> > -Andrew Borts
> > Systematic Control, Inc.
> > (954) 791-9555 x333

> >   Andrew Borts <adborts@ibm.net>
> >   Systematic Control, Inc.
> >
> >   Andrew Borts
> >   Systematic Control, Inc.  <adborts@ibm.net>
> >                             Netscape Conference Address
> >                             Netscape Conference DLS Server
> >   Additional Information:
> >   Last Name     Borts
> >   First Name    Andrew
> >   Version       2.1

>   Andrew Borts <adborts@ibm.net>
>   Systematic Control, Inc.
>
>   Andrew Borts
>   Systematic Control, Inc.  <adborts@ibm.net>
>                             Netscape Conference Address
>                             Netscape Conference DLS Server
> [...]
begin:          vcard
fn:             Andrew Borts
n:              Borts;Andrew
org:            Systematic Control, Inc.
email;internet: adborts@ibm.net
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1