  • Subject: Random thoughts from COMMON
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:59:41 -0400

>> Jon Paris getting married?

Yes indeed, as I type this Susan is on the phone trying to finalize our
honeymoon plans.  We've got a web site set up so that our friends around
the world can follow the event.  There are already some pics there from the
bash they threw for us a CUDS on Tuesday.  If you want to check it out
you'll find the link on Hal's home page at WWW.HALNA.COM - just look for
the heart!!  Don't forget to sign the guest book!

>> I can't even get anyone to consider moving to ILE so we continue to spit
out OPM RPG
(25%) and COBOL (75%).  I'm not sure what is the right thing to do....

This is a common situation for many shops - I'll just make two points.
First, you don't have to go to ILE to take advantage of many of the
features in RPG IV and not making the move just doesn't make _any_ sense.
COBOL is harder as you do have to switch to ILE.  Second point - if your
programmers are not familiar with modular programming techniques, using
local and global data, building service programs etc.  then it's likely
that any attempt to move to Java will fail miserably.  At best you'll write
procedural Java which will give you none of the hoped for benefits from OO.
Start making the move now - learn the new techniques with a familiar
language - unless you can afford to have your programmers do nothing
productive for 6 - 12 months that is !!