  • Subject: Re: Win 95/98 empty A: drive activity...
  • From: "Mohammad Bishinnati" <mnb101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 23:29:12 PDT

I do not know if this will help you solve this problem,
but look at this site it has a good reference about these things

http://www.annoyances.org/win95/win95ann6.html

I am quoting below a section from this site
That, I think, relevant to your problem

Mohamad Bishinnaty

"
Stop Windows95 from Randomly Searching the Floppy
Drive

     Last Modified: 4/17/96

     A strange bug has popped up in Windows-95, where the floppy drive
(or drives) is searched
     every time an application is launched. This problem is not confined
to the use of Explorer, or
     necessarily on systems with Norton Navigator installed. This
problem is not caused by an
     intial access to the floppy, as rebooting does not solve the
problem.

     The following are possible solutions to this problem:
            Clear the documents menu.
            Clear Unwanted Entries from the Start Menu's Run Command.
            Check for any viruses on your system (some users have
reported the NEUVILLE
          virus)
            Search your hard disk for all .PIF that point to programs on
a floppy drive
            Take out LocalLoadHigh=1 from your MSDOS.SYS file.
            Check HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID in the Registry for any
references to
          OCX's or DLL's referenced on the floppy. - submitted by Joseph
LeVasseur

     If you're using Norton Navigator '95:
            Clear Norton Navigator's Run history (or disable the Run
history all together).
            If you're noticing this behavior with only a particular
applications, you must clear the
          History List for that application.
            Download the bug fix from ftp.symantec.com.

     Other programs known to cause this problem:
            McAfee Antivirus '95 - try removing this program entirely,
or just disbling the
          Access & Shutdown options in the Scan Disks On area in the
Detection tab of the
          VShield Configuration Manager.
            FirstAid '95 - try removing this program or disabling
certain features.
            Long Filenames for Windows95 - View Software has a patch
that supposedly
          fixes this problem.
            HiJack for Windows95 - turning off "Enable HiJaak shell
extensions" in the HiJack
          Control Panel.
            Konica Picture Show - try removing this program entirely.
"

MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
david@midrange.com