RE:     Re: BIG/bad news from IBM

Don,
> Frankly, even though I feel for the guy's who are actually enduring the
>  pain of OS/2, I found it to be about as useless as a g-string in a
>  blizzard....and have avoided it cuz I had a heckuva time getting all those
>  windows apps WHICH WERE SUPPOSED TO RUN ON WARP, ETC!!!!

Don;
Speaking of OS/2..........

Some threads on infoworld A NON-Ibm  web site;
http://forums.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?73788

----------------------------------

Reader to reader (siteadm) Mon, 7 Sep
          Let's talk about Windows 98. (acagle) Wed, 16 Sep
               Downgrade to W3.11 (not WFWG) if must (ashton) Wed, 16 Sep
                    Not Bad Advice (DRLunsford) Today
                         Yep, and .... (gfolkert) Today

     Not Bad Advice

     Posted by: DRLunsford
     Date posted: Thu Sep 17 0:33:03 PDT 1998

This sounds crazy at first, but if I only had one machine, the primrary OS
would be OS/2, and
I would have WinOS/2 for Office 4.3. There is nothing any better functionally
about the later
versions, and it is the only MS app you more or less must have. The minimalist
Win3.x GUI is
downright refreshing after the attic-style clutter of Explorer.

Right now my OS/2 box is running simultaneously PM, WinOS/2, and XFree86 - 3
simultaneous window managers/desktop environments. Now that's a stable OS!

If I had one machine. . .

     Posted by: acagle
     Date posted: Thu Sep 17 8:56:44 PDT 1998

It would be running OS/2 with Word Pro and the rest of SmartSuite, plus OS/2
versions of
Endnote, SPSS, and whatever other stupid little specialized applications I have
that are only
on Winders.

Either that or a G3 Powerbook. . . . .

Yep, and ....

     Posted by: gfolkert
     Date posted: Thu, 17 Sep 1998

""  Right now my OS/2 box is running simultaneously PM, WinOS/2, and
  XFree86 - 3 simultaneous window managers/desktop environments. Now
  that's a stable OS! ""

 I just saw the most amazing thing, I have ever seen...

NOVELL NETWARE V4.11 fully patched and running IP/IPX/TCP/IP and Groupwise with
Document Management installed...All running on OS/2 as a TASK. Thing about it
was he also
had M$Office 4.3 running and saving files to the Netware server on the same
machine, running
directory services, the whole shooting match. The thing had two NIC's in it

It was a little slow, but:

I am still in shock.....STILL IN SHOCK.

     -greg

     The Boys In Big Blue...

     Posted by: DRLunsford
     Date posted: Thu, 17 Sep 1998

...have their feces coagulated. OS/2 is without a doubt the most rock-solid OS
ever to grace a
PC. I am sure you could run a bank on a Model 77 with it.

The pride of my household network is not the kick-ass high-speed Pentium clone,
rather my
True-Blue Model 77 with the slow-ass SCSI CDROM, the 9518 display that only does
640x480 on an XGA-2, the clickmeister keyboard, and the utterly non-ergonomic
IBM
UglyMouse. It dual boots OS/2 Warp 4 and PC DOS 7. This machine will certainly
outlive
me.

PS: IBM is really conservative with hardware. They could pull a Jeff Gordon on
everyone but
they prefer stability to flash. I easily made my theoretically 640x480-only
9518 display (total
cost $35 plus tax, new as a baby) do 1024x768 interlaced under XFree86. XGA was
killer.