  • Subject: RE: Win a SAAB at COMMON !
  • From: Neil Palmer <NeilP@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 21:17:18 -0400

Well, here's my two cents worth - and with the exchange rate for the
Canadian $ that's closer to .01 US so take it with a grain of salt !
  :-)

RNTMOD(*ON)

Yes COMMON is an organisation of volunteers that kept growing and
growing until it reached the point where it couldn't function solely by
depending on volunteers.  Why ?  Maybe several reasons.  In the tough
90's maybe companies are more reluctant to send people to conferences,
or more specifically to send the same person to several consecutive
conferences (pretty much a requirement for any volunteer position other
than session manager).  Maybe COMMON shouldn't have tried to grow to
the size it has ?  The only thing I think we can agree on is that no
matter what had happened there would always be someone who disagreed
with the direction taken.  Well unfortunately you can't please
everyone.

I'm not saying I agree with every decision COMMON makes, and I don't
know the answers for sure, but let me play devil's advocate for a
minute here and try to see if I can come up with some potential reasons
some of the decisions mentioned in the previous posts may have been
taken.

COMMON GOOD PINS
Well, OK maybe I shouldn't have started with this one (maybe the devil
will fire me for being a lousy advocate).
I have to say I agree completely with Larry on this one.  It does seem
that the COMMON Good Pin has achieved the "exclusivity" of a plastic
prize in a box of breakfast cereal from being handed out for reasons as
trivial as "To Billy-Joe-Sue-Bob for delivering a GreenStreak highlight
form to Headquarters for me when I was too hungover from 10 straight
hours of getting s**t-faced on Bourbon Street and couldn't drag my
sorry ass out of bed before the noon deadline".  I have six of those
things, yet the one time I felt I really deserved one (when I was a
session manager for one of Jim Sloan's sessions in Cincinnati back in
1990 and filled in unasked as speaker at an 8am session when Jim had to
leave the night before due to a family emergency) no one seemed to
notice.  Maybe I was too "new" then and not part of the "politburo".
  It does appear that to a large degree these things are now handed out
like souvenir pins amongst the "elite" volunteers and thus have become
almost worthless as a form of recognition for "outstanding effort".
Maybe part of the problem is the way these things are handed out.
Volunteers can sign out only two pins until Tuesday, at which point
you're supposed to return any unused pins, and from Wednesday onwards
it seems they're handed out to anyone with the ability to belch the
first few letters of the alphabet.  No,  that ISN'T how I got mine -
besides I can do the whole alphabet if I try !   :-)

Maybe handing out of the COMMON Good Pins should require the approval
of a senior volunteer, board member, whatever.  You should at least
need the same level of approval to hand one of these out as you need to
make a change to GreenStreak.
And no more of this "free for all" for the pins after Tuesday.  We
don't HAVE to give them all out just because we had xxx pins made up.
Take the leftovers and crush them.  If you're short, order extras and
mail them after the conference, and give recognition on the web site
and/or in GreenStreak.  You don't order up a batch of Purple Hearts at
the start of a war and have to make sure you use them all up, or
someone goes without because they've "given out the allotment - sorry,
try again in the next war".

CUDS
Well, like most thinks in the politically correct 90's I think we can
place part of the blame for destroying CUDS on the damn lawyers.
Society is going to hell in a handbasket and we're all along for the
ride.  What can you do ?  (Yeah, I've heard the "Kill all the lawyers"
cry before, but you can't do that because, er well, erm !   Well, you
know, there HAS to be some reason why you can't do that ?).
I believe COMMON's liability was pointed out in the event someone got
totally blotto on free booze and decided to harm themselves (or
others).  Again, when COMMON was a smaller organisation maybe peer
pressure helped to avoid any gross stupidity as you probably knew most
of the people at CUDS.  It became so large that you were lucky to know
more than a small percentage of those attending, and if someone was
going overboard what business was it of yours ?
So we ended up with the token $1 charge so legally we're not plying
someone with free alcohol to the point where they go out and do
something stupid, like diving off the balcony or installing an NT
Server to run their mission critical business applications.  Sorry, I
couldn't resist that one !   =:-o
Look at it honestly and compare it to the cost of a drink in the hotels
we use.  Is $1 really that bad ?
The buffet on the final night ?  As Friday afternoons have pretty much
been dead and almost everyone now bails out of town Friday afternoon
there's hardly anyone left anymore.  True, that means a small buffet
would cost a mere pittance compared to what it used to cost, so I guess
I can't see why this has been dropped.
As for the large screen at CUDS (World Series time a few years ago
wasn't it ?) I don't think that's necessarily rules out if the
conference dates happen to coincide again.  The new CUDS manager is a
nice guy - give him a chance  - but if we don't start seeing some
regional beers at conference instead of just Bud/Miller/Water I may
have to beat on him myself !   :-)

PAID STAFF, PAID THIS, PAID THAT...
Waddayagonnado when you can't get enough volunteers because the old
'senior' members have burned out and there aren't enough new volunteers
?  COMMON was just plain growing too large to be run entirely by
volunteers.  If profit were the sole motive would they be PAYING for
all this help instead of just overtaxing the volunteers ?  Things cost
more -  maybe that's inflation ?  The number of sessions has been cut
back - maybe we were running too many sessions and many were sparsely
attended ?  You run less sessions, people complain about the loss of
choice.  You run too many, people complain there's too many sessions to
choose from and it's overwhelming for new attendees.  Again, you can't
please everyone, but at least you have to try something.

STAFF NOT DOING WHAT WE WANT
I don't think it's the staff making these decisions.  They are paid to
do what the membership (via the Board) decide.
How do you influence the Board ?  Show up at MOM.  (Meeting Of the
Members for those who don't know - and from the attendance many don't,
or don't care - probably Thursday night in Anaheim).

AND (about time they all say!) The CAR !!!
Well, sorry Larry but I think you're off base completely on this one.
And yes Charlie, with all due respect to one of the oldest COMMON
members (no age crack intended) who has given untold hours of his time
to COMMON, I think you are overreacting.

What's the point ?  What's the message ?  Is a booth at COMMON worth
that much to the advertiser ?
It's a CONTEST/DRAW promotion during Expo - not an attack against MOM,
Apple Pie and the Code Of Ethics.  Does EVERYTHING have to have a
hidden agenda ?   Does everyone working to promote the conference have
to have an ulterior motive ?  SAAB sells cars, not computer
software/hardware/trade magazines or anything else they would want to
"advertise" at the Expo.
The tie-in is that SAAB have been a long time AS/400 user, and have
just rolled out a new dealer system using the latest AS/400 technology.
Integrated PC Servers in AS/400's in dealerships.  Native Lotus Domino
on the AS/400.  Isn't that a nice angle to publicise at what is
basically an AS/400 user's group, a company dedicated to using the
AS/400 to solve their key business problems ?
And if they want to accept entries during COMMON for a contest they are
running to celebrate the launch of their new AS/400 based IRIS
(Intranet Retail Information System) by giving away a nice shiny new
US$40,000 + SAAB 9-3 convertible then what's wrong with that ?    What
would be wrong if other companies who use the AS/400 in their mission
critical business applications wanted to hold a draw to give away their
products too ?  Nintendo,
Isn't it just a promotional idea to raise interest in the Expo ?  Isn't
promotion something that you're SUPPOSED to do ?
Again, this is the EXPO, not something being run during sessions or at
CUDS even.
If you've got something against gambling/betting/entering draws then no
one is going to put a gun to your head and make you enter.

And sorry Charlie, but if anyone has realised this by now surely it's
you, the Expo IS a commercial enterprise and has been for a few years
now.  However I don't think (well I certainly hope, as I'm sure do MANY
others) you should base any decision on whether or not to continue
speaking at COMMON on an issue such as this.  I could certainly
understand if you just decided that after over 20 years of giving your
time to speak at COMMON when you could be out on the road earning money
doing the same thing (or spending more time with your family - yeah,
that DOES seem more important the older you get doesn't it !) it was
time to call it a day.  But to let something as trivial as a contest
draw during Expo influence your decision, well yeah, I think you're out
beyond left field waiting to catch that 63rd homer  ;-)
I'm sure you'll never be announced at the beginning of one of your
sessions with:
"In a moment COMMON will be presenting that well known RPG Raconteur,
the Demon of the D-Spec, The King of the Calcs, the Amazing Charlie M !
  But first a brief word from our sponsor.
'Do you suffer from the painful itch of haemorrhoids ?   Try new
Preparation H-Spec  .....' "

I know, let's blame it all on Northwest Airlines, the damn strike, and
their poor underpaid, overworked pilots !    :-)

RNTMOD(*OFF)

Now one final point about when the car will be given away (AFTER I
keyed all the above and just went back to the COMMON web site to
check).  I've noticed the web page has been changed slightly and you
will now note the addition of the words "The SAAB winner will be
announced later this year."  So no it ISN'T going to be awarded during
the conference !    (Yeah, I THOUGHT it sounded too good to be true).
:-(

Neil Palmer         DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
                                             AS/400~~~~~
Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada    ___________          ___  ~
Phone: (905) 731-9000  x238   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:   (905) 731-9202          oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com        AS/400  The Ultimate Business Server