As another note earlier indicated, there is a PTF being made available
for V3R2 and V3R7 which makes the facsimile offering Year 2000 Ready.
The PTF should be available within a few weeks and adds a 4-digit year
to both the log database and the transaction *DTAQ.  As with other
applications already Year 2000 ready, the current 2-digit representation
will continue to exist for compatibility reasons (and those who may
have coded to the 1940 to 2039 window which has existed since the
early 1980s with AS/400 and the earlier S/38).

The V4 facsimile offering currently does provide the 4-digit date.
An IBM AS/400 product that declares itself Year 2000 Ready will NOT
be basing that declaration based solely on the use of windowing
technology as that is, as you say, kinda cheezy.  Though windowing is
often an option, again for compatibility reasons.

Bruce Vining