  • Subject: (PC) Systems Crashing with CA95 v3r1m3
  • From: "David Petrie/Taylor Enterprises" <taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 06:46:06 -0400

Hi all,

We have 14 PCs networked with an S-10 using TCP/IP on a token
ring network.  Nine of those PCs are using e-mail connected to the
internet via a gateway called WinGate, and 7 of them are
Win95/Win98 machines.  We are using V4R1 of OS/400 with the
latest cum applied, and CA95 v3r1m3 and service pack SF48155.
My other e-mail users are WFW 3.11 and the old CA Extended for
DOS.  Of the other five users not on e-mail, one is Win95 and four
are WFW 3.11

My e-mail software is Pegasus Mail for Windows v.3.01b (32 bit for
the Win95/98 machines and 16 bit for WFW 3.11).  Pegasus and
all the mail folders reside on the AS/400.

My users like to keep Pegasus open and minimized on their
desktops.  The problem is that it will cause system crashes.
Typically, the computer will freeze while the user is in another
application (usually WordPerfect 7, which is the PC software they
use most often).  Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up the "Close Task"
dialogue which indicates Pegasus is not responding.  Ending
Pegasus produces no result (one user waited 15 minutes for
Pegasus to end), and giving the three-finger salute a second time
produces the dreaded blue "system busy or unstable" screen of
death.  At this point, there is not choice but to reboot.

The WFW 3.11 users don't have any problems, and neither do the
Win 95 users not on e-mail.  Prior to installing CA95 v3r1m3 and
the service pack (which I understand is necessary to run Win98),
no one else had any problems either, so I have to believe there is a
conflict of some kind between CA and Pegasus.

Anyone have any ideas on whether I'm right and, if so, whether
there is a work around (other than closing Pegasus when it's not in
use)?

Everything is gratefully received.

TIA,
David
David Petrie
System Administrator
Taylor Enterprises
Your First Choice in Association Management