  • Subject: Re: Cobol I/O Modules and Blocking
  • From: Terry Grider <tgrider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:55:43 -0500

Hi Eric,

  Thanks for the reply.  Sorry to be so long in answering, but
I finally got some vacation time!  No triggers on any of these
files. It appears IBM is trying to do the thinking for us and
deciding that since file access methods are defined in the
program where blocking of records would not be suitable,
they will just disable any blocking regardless of how the
file is actually opened!  File access methods are stored in
the object description of the program and apparently,
they are all considered when the Data Path is opened.
It doesn't matter if you put SEQONLY(*YES) in an
OVRDBF CL for the file.  I am basing my conclusion
that blocking is not working on the Work with Job, option
14, PF11 display which shows the file i/o count and the
relative record value maintaining a 1 to 1 relationship. In
programs we have written in-house which do not use these
general purpose i/o routines, and simply define the files within
the program itself, these values show a 1 to 10 or whatever
the blocking factor chosen happens to be and it processes
the file much quicker.  This is more important to us than it
might be to some, because these are very large files, some
and large as 10 GB and blocking makes a huge difference in
the time it takes to read though it sequentially.

Thanks again,
Terry Grider