If you wanted to automate this process and receive the file directly onto
your AS/400 (by-passing the PC), using say ZMODEM, you may want to look at
the ZMOD/400 product from TrailBlazer Systems. It will allow you to act as
a host for incoming calls, receive and route files from PC's directly into
your applications with all the formatting done. The product will work with
most PC/UNIX comms software. You can download a copy if you're interested
from WWW.SOFTWAREJUNGLE.COM.

* disclosure - I work for them *