  • Subject: Re: Commitment Control
  • From: David Morris <dmorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:56:39 -0600

Rob & John,

I would hold off on Journaling until you have time to fully understand the
environment.  Some areas to consider are your save/restore procedures, disk
availability, whether temporary transaction files are to be journaled, data
areas, etc.  I have seen the opposite of Rob's experience.  We had a consultant
decide that to support an invoicing procedure we needed to journal all of the
updated files.  He didn't take the time to understand the process.  It took
quite a bit of time to sort out the mess that was created when our disk
overflowed because some high volume transaction files were included in the
journal.  These files were merely de-normalized views of order files.  Long
running one-time updates and file conversions from acquisitions have also
caused those journals to fill our disk (which is quite substantial)  because
Journaling was not taken into consideration.

In summary I wouldn't approach Journaling casually and should not be an
afterthought.  It is very useful if used correctly.  Journaling will not make a
poorly designed system any better, and will end up costing more than it saves.

David Morris

>>> "Rob Dixon" <rob.dixon@erros.co.uk> 07/13 9:13 AM >>>
John

I am amazed that anyone should try and talk you out of this.  If he wins
the day, just pull the plug during the update and let him sort it.

If you are already journalling, with both open and close images, then the
extra overhead is not that large.  It does mean more records written to the
journal receiver and the %age increase will depend on the number of records
written to the journal receiver per transaction.  If you are going to treat
all 500 records as a batch then the additional number is very small unless
you commit for each record.  Does each record result in multiple updates?
If so you could set the commit size to the number of updates per record,
but I usually set this to 30 records.

I have been journalling with commitment control for all files since /38
days and I have NEVER had to restore a file, except once for a disk failure
(/38) and when moving to a new machine.  We get excellent response times.
If you want to minimise unplanned down time, I recommend commitment
control.

Rob Dixon