Dear Tim,

It is correct that a true IBM 3812 printer only offers two paper trays. One of
the nice features about the AS/400 device description 3812-1 is that it does
not prohibit requests for source drawers beyond number 2 from being sent to a
device defined as a 3812-1.

OfficeVision has the capability to support printers with up to 6 source
drawers. From within a document, you select CMD 20 to reach the Format Options
menu. Next you choose 1 Document Options, then 1 Document Format, and then 4
Page layout/paper options to reach the menu item where you choose the target
source drawer by number.

When your document is sent to print,  the OS/400 command to select the desired
source drawer will be sent with it. When the command reaches the Optra S it
will need to be converted from an OS/400 command to an equivalent HP PCL
printer command in order for the Optra S to understand it. The typical bin
selection commands supported by the Optra S are as follows:

Text Format             Hex Format              Source Drawer Selected

<ESC>&l1H               1B 26 6C 31 48          Auto Feed From Default Paper
Drawer
                                                (Usually drawer 1).
<ESC>&l2H               1B 26 6C 32 48          Manual Feed Paper
<ESC>&l3H               1B 26 6C 33 48          Manual Feed Envelope
<ESC>&l4H               1B 26 6C 34 48          Auto Feed From Alternate Paper
Drawer
                                                (Usually drawer 2).
<ESC>&l5H               1B 26 6C 35 48          Auto Feed From High Capacity
Paper Drawer
<ESC>&l6H               1B 26 6C 36 48          Auto Feed Envelopes
<ESC>&l8H               1B 26 6C 38 48          Auto Feed From Multi-Purpose
Paper Tray

If you have different paper sizes installed in some of the drawers (ex.
envelopes and letter paper), you need to include both the paper size and the
drawer number in the drawer selection command.

Your ability to activate different drawers on the Optra S will depend upon the
device performing the EBCDIC to ASCII conversion. If you are using AS/400 Host
Print Transform, you will need to make a Workstation Customization Object to
adjust the sequence sent in response to a host request for drawer 3. If you are
using a twinax printer interface, you will need to find out how to program its
response to a request for drawer 3 from the host so that it sends the bin
selection sequence you need to the printer.

Hope this helps.

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606