At 12:22 PM 7/3/98 +0200, you wrote:

ENDJOBABN was introduced in the System/38, late in it's life.  The purpose
was to end jobs that could not be ended any other way than killing the system.

IBM decided when a job was ended using ENDJOBABN that the next termination
of CPF (now OS/400) should be declared "abnormal".  Presumably this meant
that certain IMPL (now IPL) additional activities should be invoked.

Al

>----------
>> Da: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@commsoft.net>
>> A: 'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'
>> Oggetto: RE: Usage of QABNORMSW systemvalue
>> Data: marted́ 30 giugno 1998 22.00
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 30, 1998 12:47 PM, Spirinckx Chris
>> [SMTP:Chris.Spirinckx@village.uunet.be] wrote:
>>
>> > I was thinking of using the QABNORMSW System value.
>> > However the helptext refers to the ENDJOBABN-command.
>> > Does anyone of you have any experience with this systemvalue and/or the
>> > ENDJOBABN-command ?
>> >
>> > An other approach would be changing the contents of a dataara during
>IPL
>> > and in the PWRDWNSYS-command.
>> > Is it possible to create an exit point for the powerdown command, and
>> > will
>> > this be preserved when upgrading ?
>>
>> Chris,
>>   I have used QABNORMSW in the past on S/38 and on AS/400 before
>ENDJOBABN
>> was introduced.  We used it to determine whether to start all subsystems
>> or to bring up the console only: our operator got a big screen explaining
>
>> that the previous powerdown was abnormal and to check job logs, etc. to
>> determine if any recovery was needed prior to giving the system back to
>> the users.
>>
>> ENDJOBABN will force the machine to do *some* "cleanup" type work that it
>
>> normally undergoes during a power failure, so that's why the IPL looks
>> abnormal to the system.
>>
>> V4R2 has an exit point QIBM_QWC_PWRDWNSYS for pre-powerdown processing,
>> but I do not know how/if exit points are preserved through a release
>> upgrade.
>>
>> Buck Calabro
>> Commsoft, Albany, NY
>> mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net
>>
>> +---
>> | This is the Midrange System Mailing List!
>> | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.
>> | To unsubscribe from this list send email to
>MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com.
>> | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator:
>david@midrange.com
>> +---
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com.