  • Subject: V3R2 PTFs for CA/400 Win95/NT V3R1M3 new features
  • From: Jeffrey Stevens <jssteven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 09:52:00 -0500

<35A0E627.9558E4D9@us.ibm.com>
Sender: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com

Actually, you can make it support what I call "wildcard" names, but you
need to install an Telnet user exit program to do so.  I created some
samples which can be found at the Tech Studio link at
http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/tech_ref/tcp/indexfr.htm.

The way a wildcard can be done is done is to specify a root name with a "*"
on the end, like "ENDICOTT*" for the device name, and let the exit program
go find a free device with a numeric suffix.  So you can get a name like
"ENDICOTT00" through "ENDICOTTZZ".  Variations are also possible.  If you
want the user exit to determine what root names to use, you want to use the
DEVINIT2 version of the samples, with the MAP access list.

Let's say your using Client Access, and you want to let the user (CA
client) specify the root name instead of the exit program.  No problem, the
sample code will look at the incoming name from CA and check for a "#" on
the end, and find a free name with a numeric suffix.  The reason you cannot
use a "*" on the end is that Telnet server usually intercepts device names
like this and steps on the "*", since it is "invalid" type name for a
device (you cannot have a "*" in the device name).  Telnet doesn't know if
a user exit is going to be called to override it.

Since I am a 'C' programmer, I wrote the exits in 'C'.  Seems like most
people want an RPG version -- which I might get ahold of later (a magazine
wants to port my sample to RPG, so I might get a copy that way).

Do not be intimidated by the amount of information you find in the samples;
ask questions, you might get answers.

--
J.S. (Jeffrey) Stevens      AS/400 TCP/IP          (Telnet/WSG/LPD)
Work:  jssteven@us.ibm.com        Personal:  jstevens@stny.lrun.com