At 08:20 AM 7/1/1998 -0000, you wrote:
>Actually IMHO, One of the server models makes a great development box.
>
>What happens most on a development box?  Compiles.  In batch.  Which
>is where the server models scream.

-snip-

>We use a 40S for a development box and are very happy with it.
>
>Regards,
>Bob Crothers
>Cornerstone Communications, LLC
>www.faxserver401.com

-snip-

>I _would_ question using a server box like the 50S. You could get poor
>interactive performance. Admittedly it's supposed to be better now,
>but we
>got bit verrry badly with a 50S. If you can keep your interactive CPU
>% <
>10%, you'll probably be OK.

Server boxes _can_ definitely be a lower cost solution for development.
They _can_ also be an unmitigated disaster. It all depends. In our case,
under normal, orthodox operating conditions, our interactive load simply
rose too high, too often, for a server box to work in our environment. I
think they still have the 7-session twinax limit. They're not intended to
have much interactive at all, and preferably none.

So long as a shop can stay within the design parameters of a server box,
it'll be fine. It simply did not work for us, trying to run 10-15
developers, help desk, etc., on a server box.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480