  • Subject: Re: Dial In Commo & Support
  • From: John Martz <jmartz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 17:04:27 -0400

As a previous message mention pointed out, in V4R2 you can use PPP with a V.24
port to an external modem. I believe you can also use the service port if all
you require is one port and don't need to keep the service port free for other
reasons. To do PPP you'll need one of the following I/O Adapters:
     2699 -- Two-line WAN IOA
     2720 -- PCI WAN/Twinaxial IOA
     2721 -- PCI Two-line WAN IOA

For Win95/NT dial-in, I'd definitely suggest using PPP, not SLIP.  The support
for PPP is part of Win95 DUN. Using PPP though requires that Operations
Navigator is available to enter the PPP configuration information on the AS/400
side.  Note: WRKTCPPTP won't allow you to configure *PPP connections. Only
*SLIP connections that use the (old) *ASYNC line description can be created
with WRKTCPPTP. For *PPP (or for *SLIP using the new *PPP line description
added in V4R2) you need to use Operations Navigator to enter the configuration
information.

If you want to enable dial-in for more than a few ports, then going the LAN
connection to a RAS server is no doubt a much more cost effective route.

john martz                                  tie 852-5539
IBM AS/400 TCP/IP PPP development (and stuff)
Internet e-mail:                     jmartz@us.ibm.com