Bill,

Where as I can relate to that...  We had a LUG meeting and happened to
have a "recruitement seminar / job shop " going on next door...  Had
several people wonder over and ask what/who we were.  When our sect. said
we were a AS/400 LUG, the standard reply we got was "that's dead
technology"....this was 3 months ago...

RANTMOD(*ON)

BUT, one has to ask...why?  We're talking a very evolving technology and
the box (albeit with much kicking and screaming to add much needed
goodies) which is damn near the most stable hardware and o/s out there...
So, why is the general populace STILL thinking we're hammering on tables
of stone?  IT'S THE MARKETING STUPID.....  I'm reminded of what Dogbert
would refer to as "inDUHviduals...."

How long has the VW Beattle been around?  Has Disney changed that much?
(NO, that's why I don't go every decade)...isn't there a list somewhere of
things that have been around a helluva lot longer than 10 years (besides
me and a few other fossils around this list:) that have not only survived
the TEST OF TIME but have actually improved in both market share and
product offering?  ( I would add support to that, but I've yet to figure
out the TRUE end results of the new "subscription services..." stuff)

Face it, the trend and paradyms are a bit scary and nebulous....  FACT:
IBM's lost the desktop;  FACT:  IBM's lost the server arena (they should
have bought Netware back years ago!); Evolving fact: software for the 400
is more and more being farmed out to 3rd/4th parties(aka, "business
partners/VAR/VAD/IR...name dujour") some of which can't do a proper config
of a 400 to save their collective butts!  And IBM still refuses to
properly police their VARs for technical quality...and the perception of
IBM by the populace is based on the VAR...NOT the good folks in
Roch/Toronto/Welsley/Boulder/Almaden...etc...  Attempting to use
"certification" to ameliate this isn't going to work...this market just
doen't put that much stock in certs.   FACT:  When you call your
local IBM'er you v.likely to hear "you're not a big enough account, go
call a VAR..." as your reply.  I don't know you folks but this doesn't
give me warm fuzzies at nite!

SO, why am I concerned? Frankly, I'm concerned about a infrastucture
fragmentation...and what it could mean to my group and my clients...
IBM appears to be positioning themselves much more as market follower than
ever before.....and I REALLY don't like the idea of who they're
following...cuz by the time I hear of Windows/400 I hope like heck I'm
sitting on a beach burning out blenders and getting some major league eye
strain...:)

...but that's just my opinion...I could be wrong...:)

RANTMOD(*OFF)

Don in DC metro...