  • Subject: Re: BAD ethernet (TCP/IP - ftp) performance on new AS/400?!?
  • From: Larry Bolhuis <lbolhui@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:40:14 -0400

Pedro,

  I have not experienced this but here are a few thoughts:

  Have you run Performance Tools to collect Line and IOP utilization for
the ethernet line?  As a starting point this should rule in or out
whether there is an overload there.

  Is the performance poor all the time or only when the system is busy?

  Do you have any tools (sniffer etc) for the LAN to determine if the
network is being overloaded?

  Have you checked the Maximum Transmission Unit parameter on the TCP/IP
Interface (CFGTCP menu option 1)?  It should be set to *LIND.  Also
check the line description parameter under SSAP the Maximum Frame Sizes
should probably be set to 1496.    Lower numbers for either of the above
increase the number of frames on the net, increasing collisions and LAN
IOP utilization, and decreasing throughput.  If you have a large
network, confer with those in charge of your LAN/WAN setup before
changing the line description.

  Also are there enough FTP servers running?  Use CHGFTPA and F4. This
will show the initial number of servers to start. The default is 3 and
this is generaly enough for light traffic.  To few and there may not be
a server available when a transfer starts, to many and the AS/400 is
taxed starting and maintaining jobs it doesn't need.

HTH - Larry Bolhuis
      Arbor Solutions, Inc
      lbolhui@ibm.net