  • Subject: Client Access - Security Question
  • From: Jeffrey Stevens <jssteven@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:57:55 -0400

Brenda/Vernon,

You can also use the user exit interface for Telnet.  This lets
you control who is allowed to access your system, and can also
bypass the signon panel based on the IP address (or any other
factors you want).  Perhaps a not well understood feature of the
user exits is NO PASSWORD IS REQUIRED to do auto-signon (although
a user profile is required).  The user exit can set the user
profile to whatever it wants, accepting any client USER variable
value from client access or overridding the USER variable to any
desired low-level user profile.

With user exits, you don't have stored passwords laying around.
I've submitted some sample user exits to NEWS/400 magazine,
I think they plan to publish in their Sept issue. There are also
some downlevel samples at an IBM link (I don't own this link, but
it currently lists some early versions of my samples):

  http://www.as400.ibm.com/tstudio/tech_ref/tcp/TELEX/Indexfr.htm