  • Subject: Re: CGI programs in ILE RPG
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 09:02:23 -0700

David,

Although this was not done for CGI specifically, when we need to perform some
form of scripting, we place the skeleton script in a text file and embed our own
control characters.

The program reads this text file and merges in the data.

It makes changes a lot easier than recompiling the program.  It also has the
benefit of allowing you to override the text file to another so a "universal"
script creation program can be developed.

In our case, we used the &xxxxx to indicate the placement of a field value. If
&xxxxx was not a valid field name, we assumed that it was to be output as is.
This way HTML &xxxx keywords would be passed along.

David Gibbs wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I'm playing around with a CGI program in RPG to display some
> information from our application as a web page... I'm curious as to
> what approach people are using to build the HTML that the CGI program
> generates.
>
> Currently, I've got the HTML defined as a compile-time array and I'm
> just kicking through the array, substituting field data in
> placeholders in the array.  Kinda like... send lines 1 through 5,
> setup line 6, send line 6, setup line 7, send line 7, setup line 8,
> etc...
>
> While it works fine, it's quite tedious... are there better
> approaches?
>
> TIA!

begin:          vcard
fn:             James Kilgore
n:              Kilgore;James
org:            Progressive Data Systems, Inc.
adr:            311 31st Ave SE;;;Puyallup;WA;98374;USA
email;internet: qappdsn@ibm.net
title:          President
tel;work:       (253) 848-2567
tel;fax:        (253) 770-1424