  • Subject: Re: Fax/400 using overlays
  • From: pault@xxxxxxxxx (Paul Tykodi)
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:44:13 -0400

Fred Pritchard wrote to midrange-l:

Hi all,
We are in the process of creating a two page fax using overlays. The
first page is a letter and the second page is a form.  We have tried
using Front and Back overlays on the print file but without specifying
duplex the back does not print.  We were hoping it would print as the
second page.

I was wondering if anyone has a quick and simple method to do this? Any
suggestions?

Fred
Dear Fred,
About a year ago, I was trying to figure out a way to print an overlay on one
page of a multi-page OfficeVision document. IBM told me that if I changed the
record format of a particular page in the document and then applied the overlay
to that page using the DDS Overlay keyword, the overlay would only be printed
on pages with the same record format. Their idea worked fine for me with my
application.
If you can use DDS keywords with the printer file servicing your Fax/400
application, you might be able to use different record formats for the letter
and the form and use this overlay capability to print the two different
overlays on the two pages.
To me, this AS/400 feature works the same as starting a new section in PC word
processing software like Microsoft Word. The changes you make (in this case
applying an overlay) are maintained for only a portion of the document and are
not carried through to the complete document.
HTH
/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi, Technical Director                 E-mail: pault@praim.com
Praim Inc.                                           Tel: 603-431-0606