At 11:24 PM 5/4/98 -0400, Tim Truax wrote:
>Thanks Neil,
>You would think that you would want the "error message" going to the user of
>the
>interactive job or *sysopr msgq  and then the decision to take the 'D' could be
>made.   Do you recommend that I put these defaults back?
>
>> Actually Tim, the 'D' reply to RPG0000 is one of the default replies
>> that are on your new AS/400 when you get it from IBM.  These are the
>> default entries:
>>
>>  Sequence  Message
>>   Number   ID       Reply
>>      10    CPA0700  D
>>      20    RPG0000  D
>>      30    CBE0000  D
>>      40    PLI0000  D

Tim,

These entries actually make quite a bit of sense. They only come into play when
unhandled exceptions are issued by programs that have INQMSGRPY(*SYSRPYL)
specified for inquiry message handling. For the most part, these are errors
that are unrecoverable unless you have a programmer standing by who can fix the
problem, recompile the program and retry the call to the offending program, and
since you're using the reply list in the first place, you're implying that you
are either running in an unattended mode, or want the system to automatically
handle errors. The "D" reply gives the programmer the maximum amount of
information about what went wrong, but doesn't cause an activity slot to be
more or less permanently taken out of action. You can change the INQMSGRYP
value with the CHGJOB command if you need to for a critical part of a job. If
however, you really want things to come to a screeching halt when any unhandled
exception occurs, I don't see why it would hurt anything to rem!
ove
these entries. You will then get the same behavior you would see if you were
not using the reply list.

Pete

Pete Hall
peteh@inwave.com