John

At 10:29 PM 5/3/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>Message text written by INTERNET:MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
>>
>>We're suffering here from the nature of TCP/IP printing. The application
>>used is call lpd/lpr and does not read spooled file attributes spooled
>>files are not part of TCP/IP, only AS/400.>
>>
>>There are some HP extensions, I think, that IBM is adding to its
>>implementation of lpr. I don't know the details right now—someone else on
>>the list certainly can dredge up the info from the recesses.
>>
>>The same issue of TCP/IP function comes up with PAGERANGE and many of our
>>other goodies. Also, we run into limitations with TELNET when running
>>PC5250 over TCP/IP. IBM seems to be addressing all these things, adding
>400
>>function to these IP apps. Meanwhile, we lose some function to gain
>>universal use. Sigh!
>>Vernon Hamberg
>

>Vernon
>
>>> Meanwhile, we lose some function to gain universal use. Sigh! >>
>
>Sounds to me like we are giving up the ability not to be able to do most
>things we need to do.
>Right Vern ?

I hear you loud and clear!

The primary reason(s) not to go with TCP/IP pretty much have to do with the
things we can't do that we've got used to—and these are fantastic features
(although PAGERANGE is relatively recent—most of the 'geezers' should
remember not having this for a lonnnnnnnnnng time).

I only hope IBM will continue to augment, on the 400, the TCP/IP printing
and emulation protocols (lpr and telnet). They have demonstrated a
favorable direction by putting device naming, signon bypass, etc., into
PC5250 over a TCP/IP connection.

None of us will be happy if we lose functionality that we've come to depend
on in the move to IP. I consider _that_ move to have such tremendous
benefits. But for now we pay a price. It's not pretty.

I wish the developer's, in their 'wisdom', had thought of the extensions
before. Maybe they did, but it sure doesn't always seem like anyone thought
of anything except throwing RFC xxxx at us for everything in TCP/IP. And it
sometimes seems the left hand knows not what the right is doing in the
TCP/IP area. I've talked to one party who says a feature is not in
development, and it shows up in a PTF in a week! OyOyOy!

I wish I remembered the details of the HP extensions—any takers?

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN  55401-2499
(612) 371-1111 x480