Neil,

You are generally correct about the need for modification in Europe,
but I regret to confirm your suspicion that it's worse than that as you
expand beyond Europe.

Besides being known as Advanced Time, Summer Time, or Legal Time in
addition to Daylight Savings Time; it is also the right of each territory
to define the exact time of change (2:00 AM is not universal though the
general rule is for the change to be completed prior to 0300 local time).

According to my documents, other territories shift to "DST" at times
such as the last Sunday in October (Australia with the exception of
Tasmania which is the first Sunday in October); last Sunday in November
(Chatham Islands, Cook Islands, etc.); last Saturday in April (Egypt);
never (Bangladesh, Cambodia, China (PRC),...; and intermittently (Easter
Island, Kirghizia).  And then of course territories such as Lord Howe
Island only shift by half an hour when they do shift...

Bruce Vining