  • Subject: Job Changes (was: Re: Certification)
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:38:46 EST

Scott,

> >Doooh!  What is _UP_ with this??!!  Is the "6% increase warrants a
>  > job change" rule no longer in force?
>  <<Snip>>
>  > Why the _HECK_ did you get into this business, then?
>  <<Snip>>
>
>  Well, I'd say it depends on the "business" you're in.  IF, in this
>  industry, one wants to pursue the real money and varied technical
>  challenges, one obviously chooses to be a consultant.  At that point,
>  I'd have to agree with you - constant travel is the norm and why the
>  heck would one turn down a full year contract (presuming you were
>  offering market values in terms of cash)?
>
>  But, if one expressly chooses the warm & comfy security blanket of a
>  permanent position, then other things start to factor in. I've
>  personally twice turned down offers from outside employers for
>  more than 10% increases in salary.
<<snip>>

Extremely well written, and I'll not respond to all of it.  The 6% question
was in relation to perm jobs in one's own area, and I apparently didn't
segregate the consulting position from the perm positions well enough.  No,
even 50% is probably not enough to jump from a perm to a consulting position.
I just wonder why people think that they can be a computer professional and
not expect to work nights and weekends -- doesn't happen!

Regards!

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"The two hardest things to handle in life are failure and success." --
Anonymous