  • Subject: Re: "stable" platforms
  • From: Jromeh <Jromeh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:55:04 EST

Chris wrote...

>After months of uninterrupted stability, an operator screwed up by
>changing the settings. He turned the power switch to ON. Big mistake, but
>I corrected the setting and the machine was again no trouble.

This is funny! Sort of like the old joke about fixing a Ford with a can
of gasoline.

At my current client, the PowerBook used to write this (one less machine
in my life to twiddle, as it just works) sits next to the Win 3.1 machine
issued upon arrival, as it was the standard back then (486DX2, 66mhz,
16mb).

Running only Rumba, cc:Mail, and Write typically, this platform is
"stable" enough that it only gets rebooted on the weekend. However,
adding 1-2-3, WordPro, or Approach to the mix  can sometimes make things
a little dicier. Has to do with resources, the PC techs say.

Around a year after arrival, 486s began to be replaced by Pentiums as the
lease rates for the Pentiums were lower due to residual "value". Most
everyone else has moved to Pentiums. When  called on to help them out,
frequent delays are spent marveling at how quickly the Pentium reboots.
My old 486 boots slightly more slowly, but seldom has to do so. This is a
better deal, and the operational speed is fine for working on 400s.

Would a new speed demon with all the fancy tools be welcome on my desk?
Only if it could be squeezed in next to this reliable portal to the 400s.

Not a luddite, but practical,

Jerome

/* Jerome Hughes                        jromeh@aol.com                 */
/* InterPro Consulting Services         www.interproinc.com            */
/* Rosemont IL USA                      these are my own opinions only */
/* OMNI User Communications Director    www.omniuser.org               */
"Anyone who knows anything at all about computing knows that the
technology
of the Mac is better. It has better integration, better overall design and
much better ease of use. I know what I like." -- Douglas Adams