  • Subject: Re: "Webulating" RPG
  • From: "Kathleen Kostuck" <kkostuck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 14:42:20 -0600

Jon, you wrote;

>Perhaps we could persuade the schools to make the product
> available for home use by the students even if they can't offer it in
class.

Then maybe you might like to think about this...

Currently I'm taking an Internet based course on Visual Basic 5 from a
local tech school.  The course is based on a textbook containing tutorials,
and a learning edition of VB was packaged with the text.  The tutorials
walk you through exercises using files that are downloaded by the student
off of the textbook publisher's web site.  I email completed assignments
back to the instructor, which might consist of a complete project, or just
source code.  If I have questions, I can also email him, he emails back
comments on my completed work.

This is a wonderful setup.  I do not have to drive to the school, or even
leave my home (except for the final exam). Everything is at my own pace,
although assignments do have a deadline.

Now some contrast...
My little brother has recently decided that he would like to be a
programmer. :^o
He thought that he might like to work on the AS/400, so he took RPG.  No
internet based training is available, he had to go to the school. He had to
do his assignments there as well (it never occurred to me that he might use
Code/400. Now, don't everybody yell at me!).
He used SEU on green screen, and had to suffer through long compile cycle
times, during which he had no idea where his compiles were because no one
explained job queues to him (until he asked me about it).

Now he's taking the same VB class as I am, and, surprise! he likes VB
better.  And when he's done with school, and if he has a choice of jobs, I
wonder which way he will go?

How about developing an Internet based RPG class, including Code/400 as the
editor?