  • Subject: Re: New Technologies and the Average Shop (was Re: "Webulating" RPG)
  • From: qappdsn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 02:52:08 -0800

DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:

> <<snipp>>
>
> If you answered two or more of the above with "Yes", you either need to change
> jobs or consider becoming a consultant...

Spoken like a true poet!

To thine own self be true, therefore you can do no man wrong.

>From memory, but I think you get the point about self respect, respect given.
>The
discontent is in respect (or lack of) received.

For those unwilling to compensate talent, they deserve what they pay for: no
talent. Right on, power to the people! :)

But then again it takes two to tango..so they say.  I had a former business
partner (did I stress former) who, during negotiation with an installed client,
was willing to settle for peanuts, because his accounting background said
something is better than nothing. I laughed and walked. I told that former
partner
(did I stress former enough?) that I would rather eat dirt than settle for less
than my work was worth.  They came back with what I wanted because I had what
they
needed.  IMHO, if you're getting less than you deserve, it's only because you
think "something is better than nothing".  No offense intended, don't know your
whole situation, but give it some thought.

Have a cup of coffee with Dean..he'll set you straight :)

BTW that just reminded me of a comic strip I saw today where a head hunter is
talking to a job seeker and said something like: Don't want to polish this
resume'
so much you can actually see yourself!

someone..sounding..like..an..old..fart(*on)  That's a new ILE expanded keyword
function...really!

The reason I brought this up was, two reasons: 1) I thought it was funny and
laughing each day makes you live longer. 2)  Because from the original post and
Dean's response I'm getting a feeling that one is facing a market/self worth
issue
that could use reconciliation.

Years and years ago when dirt was still lava, I asked a rather well known client
if they would still receive value if I raised my rates.  I assured them that my
rate would not increase to them but I desired feedback on market worth.  What I
learned was that they would still feel that they were getting their monies worth
at a 25% increase in rate.  At the time I felt uncomfortable asking that amount
because of my own self worth issues.  Since then I've gotten older and learned
separate market worth from self worth therefore outside of the house I've become
the dirty capitalist pig I was born to be and within the house I serve my wife's
and children's, not to mention extended family: siblings, the dog, cat, in-laws,
god children, grand children, nieces, nephews, cousins, twice removed, who the
heck are you's, every need.  It's a good balance. :)

Regards,
James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

P.S. Dean, I guess Chris must be relieved that you showed up to take some of my
rant off of him. :)