Art wrote:

>Can I use the AS/400 Pop3 server for my only email server on an
>intranet.  I'd like to have 10 or so Lan attached PC's use Outlook
>Express or Netscape, or whatever as email clients.  I've setup
>directory entries, etc, and I can use SNDDST to send mail to PC users
>and view with netscape, but I can't send mail back to the 400.  I get
>the following error from outlook:

>The connection to server failed.  Account as400, server as400, protocol
>SMTP, port 25, secure SSL no, socket error 10061, error number
>0x8000ccc0e

>I've tried and failed with similar results on netscape and eudora light.

 I found a couple of references to your problem on the Internet.  They
 alluded to a problem with DNS.  It could be similar to, or the same as,
 my problem:

 I experimented with the POP3 server over a year ago.  I also found that
 I could receive mail via Netscape, but not send it.  Instead, I got a
 HELO error (I can't remember exactly what), which indicated an invalid
 HELO parameter.  I think a blank HELO message was being sent.  Some POP3
 servers can handle that, but I have not found any config parameter to
 allow it on the AS/400.

 I sent a message to a list, and eventually received a response from
 someone who had the same problem, but resolved it by enabling reverse
 DNS.  We do not have reverse DNS enabled.  I did discover another
 solution, which I do not like, which is to create a local HOST table on
 the PC, with a system name, domain and IP address.  But this solution is
 not viable, since we use BOOTP and DHCP.

 In the end, we scrapped the use of POP3 on the AS/400, due to the above
 problems.  :(

   -- Carol

 |    Carol Collins   Sr. Network Administrator                          |
 |                    WASTREN  /  Holmes and Narver Services, Inc.       |
 |                    2597 B-3/4 Road                                    |
 |                    Grand Junction, CO  81503                          |
 |                    U.S. Dept of Energy  Grand Junction Office         |
 |    Internet:       Carol.Collins@doegjpo.com                          |
 |    Phone   :       (970) 248-6524                                     |