  • Subject: LanServer/400 Lantastic Node Initiate AS/400 Command
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 23:27:01 -0500

RE:     LanServer/400 Lantastic Node Initiate AS/400 Command

Jeff
I passed your question on to a friend in Rochester and this is what he
sent back.   BTW the record he suggests writing to the QSYS.LIB file
could be a command string( ie SBMJOB CMD(blah blah blah) that the
trigger program would execute.
John Carr

-----------------------
John,

Hmmm. We have had others asking for similar support.  See if this works for you:

The PC that does not have client access on it has a lansrv client.  If that PC
can get to another PC on the lan that DOES have client access, then I think
we may have a solution.  Using the second PC simply as a way to get at
the full IFS namespace (QSYS.LIB, QDLS, etc), the original PC could then
add a record to a member in the QSYS.LIB file system, which would
have a trigger program on that file.  The the trigger would fire and the
data written to the qsys.lib member would get passed in to the trigger
program, this could include a path to where the real data is...

How does that sound?  The only part that is slightly "not there" is the
firing of triggers from within QSYS.LIB due to updates from IFS servers.
This is currently out as a test "fix" with one customer who is investigating
a similar requirement/solution.

Let me know what you think.

Ray

-

RE:*LanServer/400 Lantastic Node Initiate AS/400 Command

This is probably simple, and it's probably documented somewhere, but I
swear, sometimes it's really difficult finding info in the manuals.

We have the FSIOP and LanServer/400 up and running.  Soon there will be
a PC running DOS 6.22 and Lantastic 7.0 on that LAN.  This PC will not
have Client Access nor PC Support nor Terminal Emulation to the AS/400
in the classic sense.  It will only be a node on the LAN and will 'see'
the QLANSrv area of the IFS.

This PC will, at essentially random intervals, place a file into the
QLANSrv directory.  When this happens, I want this PC to also run an
AS/400 command.  (It's "SBMJOB," but that's immaterial.)  Is that
possible and, if so, how?  I realize I could have a job on the AS/400
wake up at regular intervals and check for this file, but for business
reasons I would rather not do it that way.

Thanks for any help.
-Jeff
jlcrosby@fwi.com