  • Subject: RE: Win95 - CA/400 session limit
  • From: "Cotes, Steven" <cotess@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 12:10:23 -0800

Hank,
Sorry you're still having problems with this.
When I asked what kind of machine your user had,
I meant the PC they are using.
What I was curious about was the size of the system
and the load.
That's why the question about data transfers and
consistency of the problem, ie. what else are they
running when it happens ?

I've seen pentium 60s running 95 that were running
PointCast, Exchange, Word, a helpdesk app, IE3.0,
and three or four other apps.
They could safely run one CA/400 session over IP.
But, on the second or third or fourth, they'd blue-screen.
We increased the memory from 16 to 24 or 32 megs
and they were okay for awhile. Up until they ran out of
disk space and their swap file went away.
When 95 runs out of resources sometimes it will tell
you and other times it's not so polite.

With my own NT Workstation I've had CA fail to
establish a 5250 Display Emulation if I already
have a dozen or so apps open. Graphical Access
would work, but 5250 just sits there. However if I get at
least one session going, I can then open my dozen apps
and as may 5250 sessions as I want.

I'd suggest playing with it.
Have your user close everything except CA. No data
transfers, email, etc.
Do they always crash on the fourth session?
If not, have them close down, restart one session,
then load it up with all their other apps. Do they
ever crash starting the second or third session ?
If they don't already have 32 meg or more of memory,
try upping it to 32 and see if the problem goes away.

HTH,
Let us know how it goes,
 -Steve Cotes
 -cotess@data-io.com