  • Subject: Re: If statements again..
  • From: Jon Paris <paris@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:11:01 -0500

>> "Now I would tell the idea behind my question which I have been waiting
since the RPGLE have %ADDR function.  Because I have a project to build a
RPG program which can make decisions, and users can dymamically set up the
rules.  Therefore, I would like to know if is there any function it return
an object like

  ojbect = %ObjectOf('CUSTID')" <<

There are no plans that I know of to do this kind of thing, but you can in fact
effectively do it today.

You simply (?) need to use the APIs to obtain the list of fields for the
requested files.  Open the file under program control,  with the record program
described as one enormous character field.  Then present the extracted field
names to the user and use the field's offset position within the record to
extract those fields requested.

I know I've seen an example doing just this recently, I think it was in the
code that Julian Moneypenny published in the December (?) News/400.  The code
is on their web-site.  I'm afraid I can't check it out right now but if you
have problems finding it, send me an e-mail.

Retrieve the list

Jon Paris - AS/400 AD Market Support - paris@ca.ibm.com
Phone: (416) 448-4019   -   Fax: (416) 448-4414