  • Subject: Re: Inactive job time-out to Telnet users
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:20:12 -0800

Patpong,

At 09:15 AM 1/15/98 +0700, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone know how to end inactive job time-out
>reached from some users who access AS/400 by
>PC-Emulator via PCOMM/TCP-IP,Telnet5250?
>
>I found the system value QINACTITV and QINACTMSGQ
>can not control time-out for those clients so that I tried
>to use CHGTELNA instead but I do not clear for a few
>parameters of this command, "Inactivity time-out" and
>"Timemark time-out", if I would like to setup inactive
>time-out around 30 minutes so how do I specify the
>number of seconds for both parameters?

You're right, it is the CHGTELNA command that controls timeout values for
telnet.  I've toyed with these two parameters, but can't claim I've got them
completely figured out just yet.

Inactivity time-out is just what it sounds like.  The number of seconds of
no activity before the AS/400 will terminsate the connection.

Timemark time-out, however, is a bit of a curve-ball.  It (seems) to specify
how often a "stay-alive" message is sent to the telnet client (to keep the
client from haging up the line).

It is my _observation_ that this "stay-alive" message has the effect of
resetting the Inactivity time-out.   So.... the Timemark time-out value must
be set to a value greater than the Inactivity time-out value?

That's how I read it so-far.

hth,

jte
--

John Earl       Lighthouse Software Inc.
8514 71st NW    Gig Harbor, WA 98335

Without Lighthouse Network Security/400, your AS/400 is wide open.