  • Subject: RE: Upgrade Nightmare
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 19:00:55 -0600

Hey Doug - at least you got the right tape drive !

I unpacked the boxes a few hours ago for my new S10 that arrived today
at 2pm.  It was promised for last Wednesday or Thursday, then yesterday
they finally found it and said it would be here today before noon.  When
the guy with the box finally showed up at 2pm I asked him if he'd taken
it on a Magical Mystery Tour.  He said "almost, it was loaded on a truck
headed for western Canada".
This was being shipped from IBM's Canadian main warehouse on 14th Avenue
in Markham, about 3 miles from my office.

The front cover (they are STILL using those cheap plastic covers with
the dinky little pieces that break off easily) was of course broken
already.  The cover over the disk drive bay was not installed correctly
(would have been removed in Rochester presumably to add additional
drives). Therefore the front cover would not install flat - so
apparently someone just forced it and broke the cheap plastic hooks that
are supposed to hold the sliding keylock piece in place.
And of course two of the little round flat plastic feet broke off as the
system was moved across the raised floor.

And the "piece de resistance" - the third box was supposed to contain
the 7208-222 external 8mm tape unit.
It contains a 7207 QIC-1000 External ¼" tape unit !
I called IBM on it around 3pm.  Answer is basically "well, we may be
able to get you one on Monday".  That's when I need to have the
conversion FINISHED !

Guess I'll have to go spend Christmas Eve with the wife and kid after
all !    :-)

... Neil Palmer                                     AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada     ____________          ___  ~
... Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada     |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
... Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238      oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
... mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com          http://www.NxTrend.com