  • Subject: Fwd: Java and the AS/400
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 20:38:21 -0500 (EST)

---------------------
Forwarded message:
Subj:    Re: Java and the AS/400
Date:    97-11-21 20:19:22 EST
From:    DAsmussen
To:      NPalmer@nxtrend.com

Neil,

>               < Giant Snip >
>

>  The sad thing is, $200M is a small portion of the annual budget.  It's
>  like
>  AIDS vs. Breast Cancer research -- why spend an exponential amount on
>  AIDS
>  research (a disease caused by personal choice)
>
>       < snip >
>

>  >  Darn, here it is late at night again.
>  >
>  >  Any comments?
>
>  See above ;-).
>
>  Ducking!!!!
>
>  Dean Asmussen
>

>  Hey Dean ,
>
>  Being 'Politically Correct' would be the LAST thing I would want to be
>  accused of, but you better be ducking after that AIDS comment !
>
>  While I personally would agree that it may be true in the majority of
>  cases (being a disease "caused by personal choice"), don't forget other
>  poor bastards who have no choice:
>
>  -    Children born to AIDS infected mothers (yes, they shouldn't have had
>  a kid in the first place, but that isn't the kids fault).

True.

>  -    People who acquired AIDS from receiving tainted blood in transfusions
>  during surgery.

Unfortunately, most of these have now passed away.  The blood supply (at
least in this country) is now 99.9% safe.

>  -    Women who are raped by total jerks who have AIDS (the death penalty
>  should be automatic for these creeps).

Agreed!!!!

>  -    Prison guards/police officers who have been stabbed by inmates/those
>  they are trying to arrest, with dirty needles (again, the death penalty
>  should be mandatory for this).

Can't argue that, either.

>  -    Children who may accidentally stab themselves with dirty needles when
>  playing in their neighborhood, on the beach, or anywhere else that
>  society dumps it's garbage these days.

Yep.

>  -    The innocent spouse who doesn't know his/her mate is screwing around
>  on them and happened to pick up AIDS from one of their encounters.
>  -    Probably others scenarios I have neglected to mention.
>
>  As you say, it was late at night and I'm sure it was unintentional,
>  still....

Yes, but these "collateral casualties" of AIDS account for even less than 10%
of the people affected by breast cancer, and the breast cancer crowd is no
more responsible for their condition than your examples.  The overwhelming
majority of AIDS cases are caused by personal choice.  I've lost some (both
gay and straight) friends to AIDS, but I've lost _MORE_ family members to
breast cancer.  Unfortunately, most of the latter were on my wife's side of
the family.

While I agree that AIDS needs research and a cure, I disagree that it needs
it more money than a disease that kills thousands more each year.  Again
unfortunately, AIDS _DOES_ get more research dollars in this country.  Could
have something to do with the lifestyles of our politicians...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please
everybody." -- Bill Cosby