  • Subject: Re: 5494 Token Ring/Ethernet to Twinax Connectivity
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:32:30 -0500

>   We will be getting a new AS/400 server series and was curious to
>know how the twinax devices look on the AS/400 if the 5494 is connected
>via Token Ring or Ethernet?  I have not really had to work with or
>involve myself with the 5494's much in the past couple years so my
>knowledge of the 5494 is fuzzy.  We are migrating to a Client Server
>package, thus the usage of a server series box, but need to retain
>twinax support greater than what the server series provides.  Currently,
>I beleive it is 7 and we will need about 20 to 30.  Someone mentioned to
>me that twinax devices connected to a 5494 with a Token Ring or Ethernet
>interface are emulated on the AS/400 as LAN attached devices.  Is this
>true or false?

Twinax devices attached via TRN/ETH LANS look no different to the
AS/400 than if they were attached via an SDLC line.  The device class
is *RMT.  What is different is how the 5494 APPC controller looks to the
system.  Compared to locally attached devices (*LCL) is a configuration
issue and no affect on functionality.  What you are doing should work.  The
limit of TWX devices on a server model is a hardware restriction on locally
attached devices.  As long as you are not 'abusing' the interactive
processing power of the server model you will be ok (as I'm sure you know).
The terminal devices will operate just fine.  We have several TRN and ETH
attached control units and there is next to no difference to a locally
attached
TWX device.  In order to attach the 5494 you will have a APPC controller
with a link type of *LAN.  There will be an APPC device attached to the
controller.  You will also have a RWS controller (to which your TWX devices
will be configured to) that will 'attach' to the APPC controller/device.

I know I've rambled here.....if you have more questions just shoot them
off.
You can email me privately at mcrump@ballfoster.com

Michael Crump
Technical Projects Leader