  • Subject: RE: AS/400-based imaging
  • From: Chris Cole <ChrisC@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 10:51:05 -0000

        Loyd Goodbar wrote:

        I'm looking for ways to stop printing some 700-odd pages per
day, and
        think an CD-based imaging system would work nicely. However, I'm
not
        that familar with imaging and am hoping someone here could give
me
        some insight.

        Loyd

        You can image directly from the AS/400 as per your requirements.
You do indeed monitor an output queue and set the parameters as to what
you want the archiving software to do with the spool files.  The norm is
to add an IBM 3995 optical jukebox and archive the information onto
that.  However, you can archive to DASD and still retain full search and
retrieval facilities.  IBM supply a product called R/DARS which does the
job well.  However, the set-up can be messy and you would need to be
confident with physical files and your own spool files (in terms of
document keys etc).  Other products that I have encountered are supplied
by Magellan and GTOS.  Both work well but Magellan charged on processor
group which made it expensive compared to R/DARS. I'm not sure on the
GTOS charging.  If you employ programmers, they will get to grips with
R/DARS.

        Chris Cole